Wednesday, January 24, 2007

it's on the beach!

I went to Mae’s beachside condo for the first time. All I knew was that it was a two minute walk from the beach, and had two-stories. When we got there, it was a small, stand-alone shack the size of a small bedroom. The front “door” was a solid, flip-style garage door on the front side of the shack. It was made of old, cheap plywood that was warped, peeling, and falling off. Inside, the walls were made of that blue, plastic padding they use to wrap the supports of ski lifts with. There wasn’t even room for a loveseat inside. There was a small space next to the wall where Mae would crouch down to sleep at night. The “upstairs” was two steps up from the main floor, and was the size of a double bed. The “upstairs” also had a small “crouching space” where Brian slept. Mae was optimistic that Maneesha was going to buy her place for $250k, but I voiced my doubts. Upon hearing them, Mae responded, “Are you kidding me? We’re so close to the beach! Of course it’s worth $250,000!” It was then that I noticed there was no kitchen and no bathroom. When I pointed this out, Mae replied, “Phil…the beach is RIGHT THERE!”

No comments: